Fleetwood Metal Body was opened on April 1, 1909 in Fleetwood, PA. It was an independent bodybuilding company until it was acquired by Fisher Body, a division of General Motors. The company continued its activities until 1931, when all production facilities were transferred to Detroit.
The company Fleetwood Metal Body until 1909 has already established itself as a manufacturer of fine aluminum bodies. In those days, many well-known personalities from the USA and from foreign countries such as India, Japan, Poland addressed her orders.
Exclusive – that was exactly the word that attracted the rich. They purchased the engine, chassis and wheels from leading manufacturers and sent them to Fleetwood. Where the body and interior were created at the request of the customer. The customer met with the designer, who depicted the wishes of the client on paper. After that, work began on the implementation of the project.
In the end, it was decided to release a car called Fleetwood. Cadillac Fleetwood has become one of the most popular cars from General Motors. The name Fleetwood has been featured since 1927. In 1946, Cadillac created a special version of the 60th series called the “Series 60 Special Fleetwood”.
In 1965, the Fleetwood Brougham model appeared, added as a top version of the Sixty Special.
In 1971, cars based on platforms B, C and D were launched into production. In connection with this, Cadillac Fleetwood began to use the D-platform. The volume of engines installed during this period was ambitious. These include the most modest power unit V8 with a volume of 7.7 liters and the largest V8 with a volume of 8.2 liters.
In 1977, the Fleetwood line was divided into two models. These were: the Fleetwood Limousine car, which had a long wheelbase on the D-platform and the Fleetwood Sedan (including the Brougham – the name now meant a package of options, rather than a stand-alone model) that used a shorter C-platform. A new Cadillac L33 V8 engine with a capacity of 7.0 liters also appeared, as well as a little later thanks to the Oldsmobile and a diesel power unit.
In 1980, Fleetwood cars retained 3086 mm wheelbase models and rear-wheel drive. Also this year, the 2-door Fleetwood Brougham was created, based on the Cadillac DeVille. Its hallmark was the Landau roof (a roof that opens just above the rear seat). The limousine version, which was named Fleetwood 75, was discontinued in 1984. In 1985, the 2-door Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham was also discontinued. As for the rest of the Cadillac cars, the year 1980 was marked by the appearance of the unsuccessful V8-6-4 engine with switchable cylinders, the electronics of which were very unreliable. In 1981, the 4.1-liter Buick V6 engine began to be used.
In 1985, all Fleetwood models (with the exception of Fleetwood Brougham) were transferred to the front-wheel drive C-platform. The standard version of Fleetwood had a 2814 mm wheelbase, as did other models based on the C-platform. And the length of the wheelbase of the Limousine “Fleetwood 75” model was 3414 mm. The Fleetwood Brougham model remained rear-wheel drive until 1986.
In 1987, the rear-wheel drive Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham left the Fleetwood line and was simply called the Cadillac Brougham. Thus, the Fleetwood lineup consisted only of front-wheel drive versions. This year, only one engine option was offered – the V8 HT-4100 with a volume of 4.1 liters, which in 1988 replaced the V8 HT-4500 with a volume of 4.5 liters.
In 1989, the Fleetwood coupe began to have a 2814 mm long wheelbase, and 2891 mm sedans. External changes were identical for both the coupe and the sedans. The body length of the coupe was 5138 mm, and the sedan – 5215 mm.
Until 1990, a 4.5 liter V8 HT-4500 power unit with 180 hp was installed under the hood. And in 1991, it was replaced by a 4.9 liter V8 HT-4900 engine with 200 hp.
In 1993, Fleetwood changed the front-wheel-drive C-platform to the new rear-wheel-drive D-platform. The body was developed based on the Chevrolet Caprice. In this model year, the Cadillac Fleetwood was the largest car in the United States at the time, until it was discontinued in 1996.
In 1993, under the hood of the updated Cadillac Fleetwood, a 5.7-liter V8 LT05 engine was installed with a power of 185 hp.
In 1994, the V8 LT05 5.7-liter powertrain was replaced by a 5.7-liter V8 LT-1 engine borrowed from the Chevrolet Corvette. Its power was 260 hp.
In 1996, the Cadillac Fleetwood was replaced by the d’Elegance modification of the Cadillac DeVille.